Sunday, February 10, 2019

Memory

Today in psych class we were asked to take various memory tests. 

My first test was the penny test where I had to decide which among many pennies was a real penny (they removed or added components like the year of creation etc.). I picked the correct answer; however, I don't think this test necessarily checks memory rather it checks observational skills. I for one have never really looked at a penny to tried to remember its various aspects and I'm sure some have never even really paid attention to what a penny really looks like. Honestly I just felt like the other pennies looked weird from a design point of view (ex. the date was moved too close to the edge of the penny ) and so my choice is not exactly memory based.

This was a test to see how well I could remember faces and I thought it was kind of valid. Of course validity depended on how long you looked at the given face. I got the face correct, but I did look at it for quite some time.

This test gave me a list of words to memorize. I created a story out of the words which allowed me to remember them better. According the the website 9/12 is an average score. This test is pretty valid but again there was no limit on time spent memorizing.

I found this article about the mind's capacity of remembering faces.




No comments:

Post a Comment